Springdale was originally called Squire City. The present site of Springdale was a wilderness until about 1886, when Mr. John Shriner and Mr. Charles O. Squire arrived at about the same time. Squire erected the first sawmill in 1887. Once Mr. Squire finalized his homestead, he platted the area on 29 November 1889, which he called Squire City. He became the first postmaster in December 1889, while the town was still called Squire City.
Mark P. Sheffer was the first merchant. He brought in material by horse-drawn freight wagons prior to the arrival on the railroad.
In 1889, the Spokane Falls & Northern Railroad (SF&NRR) was completed to the area and the depot was called Springdale. Springdale was the lunch stop between Spokane and Northport on the SF&NRR. By 1892, the community was named Springdale.
Springdale was officially incorporated on February 9, 1903.
The Springdale Reformer, started by Elmer Burrows, was published from 1907 to 1923.
The entire business section of Springdale was destroyed by fire, 9 July 1908.
- Coeur d'Alene
- Post Falls
- Priest River
- Airway Heights
- Deer Park
- Fairchild Air Force Base
- Liberty Lake
- Loon Lake
- Medical Lake
- Metaline Falls
- Newman Lake
- Nine Mile Falls
- Otis Orchards
- Spirit Lake
- Spokane Valley
IDX Data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, it may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing, data is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed accurate by the Spokane Association of REALTORS® MLS.
Data last updated: May 27, 2020 11:06:pm